The world of Macs are one of its own kind. With its excellent and to the par quality and image, it is certainly the favourite. With the simplicity of usage it has some superb shortcuts that are essential in rescuing one from tough times. If you happen to organically surf for items present in Mac, it can take ages to fetch the desired one. However, there is one such Mac shortcut that can lessen the pain of searching through items. Spotlight is the name of this fun app that is the Google for your system. Just name it and get results through spotlight Mac shortcuts. Curious to know how it works? Read it and unveil how to use Spotlight on Mac and some tips.
Part 1. What is Spotlight?
The iOS users are blessed in disguise for they have Spotlight Mac shortcut which acts the roadmap to one’s device. It is flared to provide users with a quick look of items available in their device. These include documents, pictures, music, applications as well as System Preferences. Users can prevail the opportunity of scanning through data on the basis of creation dates, modification dates, sizes and several other attributes. Moreover, Spotlight leverages one with complex words by providing insights from the built-in New Oxford American Dictionary too. Calculator facility can be availed by users too.
Part 2. Why do I need it?
In our hectic schedule, the last minute surfing of things just gets out of control. What even triggers our patience is the inability of finding out where the thing is. That is where Spotlight comes for rescue. It is the easiest and simplest way of searching through the data folders that are stored in your device. This even enhances the level of easiness for users and saves a good chunk of time too. Far from that, the option of searching for websites natively from Spotlight is helpful in saving the time of launching a browser separately.
Part 3. How can I Access it?
In case you’re unaware of how you can search with Spotlight on Mac and how you can access it, we’re here to assist you. There are several ways of accessing Spotlight in different styles. Let us get into the nitty-gritties of it!
Access by Spotlight Search Shortcut
- All you need to do is, press the cmd + spacebar. This will prompt the Spotlight search bar to appear over.
- Simply, key in the desired item you are looking for and there you go!
Access By Spotlight Search via the icon
- From your Mac, tap on the Spotlight icon (magnifying glass icon) placed at the upper-right corner of your menu.
- Enter the item that is to be searched and get it in a fraction of moments!
Part 4. Spotlight Search Shortcut Tips
No doubt this application is a real easy-peasy one but you know it can become a complicated one too. So it is recommended to effectively reap out the benefits of the same.
- Quick access to items: Well, as stated it is the easiest means of searching for any kind of file in a herculean speed. Seekers needn’t to write full name of the item, Spotlight can fetch the results in just a string of alphabets.
- Gain first hand Preview of Files: Sometimes we don’t really have to open the file but just gain access to some of its contents. That’s where this applications comes up to your expectations. One just has to click on the file name, scroll through the preview panel and fetch the detailing.
- Look into the history of browser: View the bookmarks or history saved in Mac and type about the same. Just type in anything and Spotlight will display it right away.
- Benefits iTunes and App store: Anyone can make use of Spotlight search for App Store or iTunes. By just entering the name of the target song or show, Spotlight will come up with close suggestions. Also, in the preview pane, one can buy or order the item directly.
- Copy Files: One can copy the items to desktop or a Finder Window from the list of results using Spotlight search on Mac.
- Scroll to know more: You can see various other versions of history in the right order. Spotlight shows meaningful search results that are too hard to resist.
Part 5. Using Spotlight on Mac as a Calculator and Conversion Tool
Many of you might have not familiar with the fact that Spotlight Mac shortcut can also be used as calculator and efficient conversion tool helpful in obtaining results in no time.
Useful in converting currencies: Carry conversion to check its equivalent currency you’re wishing to have. For example you can check the INR for “$100”.
Switch temperatures/measurements: You can simply feed in the correct amount to be converted. Then you can view the common convert.
Undergo mathematical equations: To add some awesome elements, Spotlight on macOS offers users to solve equations like “187/2” or “6+3” or try out other numerical combinations too.
In a nutshell, we’ve seen a detailed account of a handy Spotlight shortcut that caters to ease out the work. Spotlight being the roadmap of items stored in your Mac, speedily fetches contents available! Now the Mac users know what they have and gain insights on how to use Spotlight on Mac. Care to share some insights of the same? Simply, drop a comment below!